Thursday, July 31, 2008

A movie, some tennis, and a visit from the Fire Department

What a day!
In the morning we went to the movie theatre to watch a movie. Unknown to me, all summer long they've had $1.00 Wednesdays. They play a kid friendly movie, open up all of the theatres to show this one movie, and all the proceeds go to children's charities. Fabulous idea! Too bad we found out about it on the last couple of weeks. So Melly and I went to see Surf's Up. She did really well, sat on my lap and was quiet as a mouse soaking it all in. Then about 80% through the movie, she says to me, "Mommy, I all finished". I try parent trick #1. Ignore it. No good. She asks again. I whisper and try to point out all the fun things about the movie. Didn't work. So, we pack up and go. I think the part that bothered me most is that I really wanted to see how it ended. So, if anyone has seen Surf's Up, please tell me how it ends!
Then, I start tearing apart my house for the arrival of my in-laws. My project for the day.... the office. This room is my nemesis. It's the "throw all the junk in there" room. I can mostly say it's all Rob's junk, but as I tore it apart I realized that there is a lot that's mine too. Hello Freecycle! I listed a bunch of stuff to get rid of there. Hurray! So, since I'm getting the office ready for guests, the other stuff gets forgotten. Our bedroom wasn't straightened, the kitchen had some dishes around, laundry is waiting to be folded, toys are left... no big deal I'll get them later.
Later comes, and I go meet my girls for our Wednesday tennis fun. Melody comes with us since Rob had a meeting to go to. Melly was great, our tennis swings were marginal, but we had a blast. So now I'm all grossly sweaty and all I want is a shower and to clean my house.
I get home and Rob's home. I'm just about to get Melly ready for bed when the kitchen alarm goes off. Hmmmmm. Strange. Rob checks it out and it's the carbon monoxide detector going off. He resets it and it does it's test to show it's working, then it goes off again. It's plugged right into the wall, so it should be working correctly. So Rob goes on line to do some research on what it could be. THEN, the office carbon monoxide alarm starts going off. YIKES! OK, now it's time to call the fire department. So Rob talks to them and they say they'll come over to check it out. Man they were not kidding! 2 firetrucks, 1 police car, 1 fire chief with another car, a few other emergency vehicles all show up with lights on. The neighbors come out, we're all kicked out of the house while they search it. Oh, did I forget to mention that the firemen were all in full get-up including oxygen tanks and masks! After about an hour (with Melly in her car seat watching a movie), the decide that oddly enough both of our detectors were going off in error. Wacky, huh? The fireman also mentioned that he has never seen a house with so many fire and carbon monoxide detectors in it. So kudos to Rob for making his house as safe as he can!

No comments: